Thursday, January 15, 2015

Easy Recipes for the Busy Woman

I work extremely long hours, and in the vein of Danica's Half Marathon Training for the Busy Woman, I thought I would share my go-to recipes for dinner in a snap. All of these recipes can either be made in the crockpot, or in 20 minutes once you get home. I love cooking but I've learned that dinner will not get made during the week if it's going to take more than 20 minutes to cook. The below recipes are in bi-weekly, if not weekly rotation and make sure dinner is on the table and we aren't eating out every night.






                            Waffles

I've learned some shortcuts in the past couple years for cooking dinner faster:

1. Buy prepped vegetables.
Trader Joe's and Costco have so many options to choose from to help you save time. I love buying the  big bags of stir-fry vegetables and having them on hand anytime I need to make a quick stirfry.
2. Use your crockpot. 
This is a woman's best friend. Ten minutes of effort in the morning, and you have the perfect meal when you get home.
3. Make Breakfast one night.
One night a week I will make either breakfast sandwiches or waffles. As long as I stay away from cinnamon rolls, it's quick, delicious, and filling. Try adding your favorite breakfast meal to your weekly rotation. It will make a huge difference.
4. Buy precooked chicken.
The rotisserie chicken is a life saver. I buy the Costco rotisserie chicken because it is bigger and then I use it for lunches and dinners all throughout the week. Cooking meat is usually the time sucker of any meal so having pre cooked meat is key when you don't have a lot of time.
5. Make the salad your main entree.
Salads are great meals for when you are busy because you can basically add anything to them and still have a great meal. Skyler and I love the Pasta Caesar Salad mentioned above because the pasta makes it filling enough for my husband, but it still feels light enough for me not to feel like a heffalump.
6. Make all in one meals.
Save your fancy meals for the weekend. I try to cook meals that don't need sides and will still fill you up. If its mostly a meat entree I'll try to add a vegetable to the recipe to make it more well-rounded. Crockpot meals are great for this because they usually include meat, vegetables, and rice or potatoes. 

What are your favorite quick recipes?

XOXO,

15 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing! <3

    I have a new outfit post on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice!!! I am all about my crock pot! I love to make enchiladas- so easy and yummy! When it comes to cooking, less (work) is more!! :-)

    xo,

    Brittany,
    www.lawyerlookbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try the Tomatillo Ranch chicken ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crockpot is a lifesaver for those us that work long hours. I love this post! :)

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. So yummy!
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these all sound amazing! Thanks for sharing- I need some quick recipes to cook in my apartment.

    xo,
    claudia
    www.chroniclesofclaudia.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These recipes look delish!

    God bless,
    XO,Claire
    Http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are easy and yummy recipes!! Thanks for sharing.
    www.effortlesslady.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great recipe shares Thank you so much for this great post! http://lachiquitamissi.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great meal, looks so delicious! I know I could use this being a busy woman myself! :) xo~ Lena

    www.felinecreatures.om

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg yes!! I need this! I actually made those taco bowls two nights ago! How funny! They were super yummy and so easy!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  12. With 3 kids under 5, I need something fast and easy! I will be trying the chicken bowl next week. Thanks for sharing!
    xo Jaime
    www.therealfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! Got any recipes for busy non-cookers?

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh ,amazing ideas,I LOVE ALL!
    If you have a instagram writte me a comment in @carmenpaastor I want to follow you and see all your pictures!
    XXX,Carmen http://miescueladetacones.blogspot.com.es/ and my facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/miescueladetacones please let me like !

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post.Thanks for sharing your tips . xx

    http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete