Monday, December 29, 2014

How to Actually Accomplish Your Goals in 2015


I love setting goals. Unfortunately my goals don't always love me back.



I don't know about you, but goal wise, 2104 was a pretty bad year. Yesterday I was looking through the goals I had set for 2014, and I realized I only accomplished one goal from my list. One goal out of twelve. It was pretty depressing, but it gave me resolve to make sure my goals for 2015 actually come true. 2015 is going to be different. Here are 7 tricks that should help all of us to make sure 2015 is not a repeat of my 2014 in the goal department.

1. Take Time to Set Goals:
I'm sure its easy for most of us to make a list of things we want to accomplish. It would probably take most people about a minute. The trouble with that approach to goal making is that you aren't taking the time to really think about why the goals on your list are important and if they are realistic. Ensure your goals are achievable and within the realms of reality so the same goals you feel so excited about now don't become demotivating later on.

2. Write Down Your Goals:
Studies have proven that a person is much more likely to accomplish their goals if they write them down. Write down how you will know you have reached your goal, and when you would like to achieve the goal by. Write your goals in terms of what you want, not what you don't want. Example: "I want to be able to fit into my wedding dress again", rather than " I don't want to be fat anymore."

3. Tell Someone About Your Goals:
Sometimes it's a lot easier to accomplish our goals when there is another person beyond ourselves holding us accountable. Danica and Skyler are great people to talk to about my weight loss goals because they help hold me accountable and are great at 'gently' guiding me towards healthy choices. When you know that you will have to tell someone that you have been sidetracked in achieving your goal, it makes it a lot less likely that you will become sidetracked to begin with.

4. Break Your Goal Down.
Alot of times the goals we are setting are very large goals that are made up of tons of smaller components. For example the goal to lose weight has a lot to it. How are you going to lose weight? Breaking down your large goal helps you to be more specific. Write down your smaller goals and try to set dates to have those accomplished by. Having smaller goals under our large goals makes the large goal easier and gives us a feeling of success along the way. If your goal is to lose 30 pounds, but  it takes a long time, you could get discouraged and quit. But if you have smaller goals like working out 4 times a week or running a 5k or a half marathon, and you meet those small goals, it will help you to keep working for the 30 pounds even if it takes awhile.

5. Give Up the Need for Immediate Results.
One of the drawbacks of accomplishing goals is that unless you developed good habits while working towards accomplishing your goal, you will end up having to accomplish that same goal the next year. If you do a fad diet and lose 20 pounds really quick, but never got into a habit of eating healthy and working out, the likelihood is that you will be trying to lose 20 pounds the next year as well. Change your mindset that you have to see results right away. True progress takes time.

6. Commit to Yourself.
There's a quote out there that says,"It's funny how day by day, nothing changes, but when you look back everything is different." One year from now you will be one year older no matter what. What can you do today that will make looking back to today feel different and really satisfying? Commit to yourself now, and then recommit if you have a setback.

7. Celebrate Your Accomplishments.
As far as I'm concerned, life is meant to be celebrated. Life is really hard, and if something good happens it deserves to be recognized. Recognize the success you are having as you work towards your goals and celebrate them along the way.


XOXO,

17 comments:

  1. Great post for the end of the year. I definitely need to follow these steps :) Happy Holidays, ladies!! -xx

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! Your advice is spot-on. I too have found that I am much more likely to accomplish a goal if I write it down. Happy New Year, ladies! :-)

    Brittany,
    www.lawyerlookbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I feel like I never reach my goals either this year I am going to try hard to reach them :)

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wise post Miss! I wish you amazing holidays!
    XO
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!!!
    I wish you a successful 2015!!!
    Happy Holidays!
    JOY, LOVE & HAPPINESS!!!!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    My Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! I'm definitely making it a point to set some goals this year...and accomplish them!

    Shannon
    Clothes & Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such great tips! I haven't had time to sit down and plan goals. Maybe that should be one of them! Happy New Year girls.
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome tips! Love the post!

    Mel
    http://girlandthepolkadot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your advice it totally spot-on and great! Awesome tips and I love how you put out all of the information!

    Denise
    www.fashionloveletters.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I have experienced that writing down the goals in a list format and checking then off is the only way I can accomplish them! Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    -Jyoti
    Style Delights Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really lovely post and perfect for this time of year :) I really do love the quate in tip 6. It really says a lot :) x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips on how to actually follow through!

    xo
    www.charltonlee.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing all the tips!
    Have a wonderful new year!

    Much love
    http://jedidiahgc.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pics, dear!
    Have a great, happy and healthy new year!
    <3
    http://theshimmeroflife.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice. I think that #5 is the biggest stumbling block for many of us!

    Tif
    www.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, great post! I have many thing happing this year, s I decided that my only goal is not goal this year! I will live the moment and get the most of of, you advice is on point! Because in reality my goal is to live them moment! xx
    http://www.glamouryarmory.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply would like to state that article is amazing. The quality in your post is just impressive and I can think that you’re an expert on this field. Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep up to date with incoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the outstanding work. PS, I'm planning to order my wedding dress for this coming september from HouseOfBrides, they have huge collection also at very reasonable prices. I have heard all positive reviews about this store, very impressed so far.

    ReplyDelete