Monday, July 7, 2014

Half Marathon Training for the Busy Woman

Brooke here,

Today I am going to share my running routine! I have been running since about 8th grade. It is something I have always loved to do in my free time. However, that free time has been harder and harder to find as I have progressed in life!

Working out can be a really hard thing to make time for. My hope is that with this post I can show some of you that no matter how busy you are there can always be time for a little YOU time.



I currently work two jobs, so finding 10 minutes to do laundry can be difficult, and the thought of finding time to go for a 10 mile run seems impossible! I have run 6 half marathons and over the course of training for those races I have learned what works for me and what doesn't.



I am currently training for a half marathon that I will run next weekend. I chose to do a 10 week training program. In this training I decided to change some things up from what I have done to prepare for previous races. In the past I would try to run everyday, but I found that caused injury and pain in my knees. So this time around I am doing 3 shorter runs during the week, and a long run either Saturday or Sunday (whatever day I can find the time). I find that if I get up early and get the miles in before the heat it is a lot easier, and I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day.

Below is my personal training plan that I have been using. I just made a table and wrote in what I wanted to accomplish each day. This was, and is, a key to me accomplishing my goals. I like to cross things off a list, and with this plan I was able to cross it off when I completed my workout for the day. 

On the days that it says 'strength' I did a variation of arms, abs, legs or full body weight lifting classes. Typically due to time my strength training will only be about 20 minutes long. (I know some prefer to do more, but a lot of times this is all I have time for). My runs during the week usually are 3 to 4 miles long and typically take me 30-40 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace. To accomplish this all I had to do was dedicate about an hour to my goals each day aside from the long run days that needed a little more time.

Week Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
1 Rest 3 miles + Strength train Cross training (I chose to do spin class) 3 miles typically I would do Hills or sprints on Wed. 3 miles + Strength train Rest Day 5 miles
2 Rest 3 miles + Strength train Cross training 3 miles (sprints) 4 miles Rest Day 6 miles
3 Rest 4 miles + Strength train Cross train + Strength 3 miles (hills) Cross train 3 miles 7 miles
4 Rest 4 miles + Strength Cross train 3 miles (hills) Strength Rest Day 8 miles Yoga
5 Biking +strength 4 miles + Strength Cross train Rest 3 miles +Strength Rest 6 miles
6 Biking + Strength 3 miles + Strength Cross train 3 miles (hills) + Strength Stair climber + Strength 2 miles Rest
7 9 miles Strength Rest 4 miles + Strength 3 miles + yoga Rest Day 9 miles
8 Rest 4 miles + Strength Cross train 3 miles (hills) 3 miles + Strength Rest Day Stretching + foam rolling
9 6.5 Miles Strength 3 miles ( sprints, hills) Yoga + Strength 3 miles + Strength Rest Day 3 miles + Strength
10 8 Miles 3 miles + Strength Cross train 3 miles (hills) 3 miles + Strength Rest Day Half-Marathon


Do you have any tips and tricks for fitting work outs into a busy schedule? 

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. I am just like you, I usually get injured if I try to run every day! 4-5 days a week is just about perfect for me. Are you a morning runner or evening runner, or do you just try to do whatever will fit in your schedule?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do mornings but with my current jobs i have to do nights. I still do my long run on the weekends in the morning though. I have read your blog and noticed you run with a group, I would love to find one around here. running alone gets hard.

      Delete